Saturday, September 11, 2010

frozen hot chocolate


When I was in New York on Wednesday, I had the most amazing frozen hot chocolate drink! I'm not usually a big fan of chocolate or sweets (I know, I'm really weird) but this was seriously one of the most fantastic things I've ever tasted in my life.

So when I got home I started searching for a recipe to make this delicious confection on my own. I found a few recipes that sounded like they'd work, but most called for whole milk or cream (which I don't use) and made enough to feed an army. This is the best one I could find, and I just adapted it a bit so it would make less & be a little healthier.

Melt about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips with a little less than 1/8 c. skim milk in the microwave. When it's melted, mix it with 2 tsp of hot chocolate mix (I like the Hershey's brand best) and 2 tbsp of sugar or sugar substitute. Mix with 1/4 c. of skim milk. Then combine in a blender with one tray of ice cubes, and yet another 1 cup of skim milk. Top with (fat free preferred!) whipped cream and drink up!

I'm sure the cafe I originally had this at used whole milk or cream and artery-clogging whipped cream, but my version tasted exactly the same and was much, much healthier! Most recipes that call for whole milk do come out really similar with skim, and you feel a lot less guilty indulging in them! :)