Thursday, May 10, 2012

hello paintbrush, my old friend



I haven't painted in almost a year, and until last night I completely forgot how much I love it! I always wanted to be a painter, from the time I was old enough to hold a paintbrush, but I gave up on that dream when Flapper Doodle became a full time endeavor. Last night I was reminded of why I love painting so much, and realized I need to find the time to do it more often. The process itself is cathartic -- the world and all my troubles just melt away while I'm painting. And then seeing the finished product (if I like how it turned out...) makes me so happy. I'm not an incredibly confident person, but my paintings are the one thing that I'm very proud of. After I finish one I just can't go to sleep at night without constantly turning the light back on to look at it one more time. One more time.

Until yesterday, I had forgotten how much painting means to me, what a sense of accomplishment I feel when I finish a piece, and how euphoric I feel while I'm working. I know it sounds super corny, but I feel like there was a little hole in my life for the last couple of years, and I finally figured out what was missing.

If there's a hobby or passion that you've forgotten, try to revisit it this weekend. I hope someone else can feel as fantastic as I do about rediscovering something that makes you happy :)