Thursday, October 15, 2015

two in a row



Two posts in a row, what is this madness??

Yesterday I started working on my new 2016 flapper doodle calendar (all my previous designs are still available with 2016 dates, too) I didn't do any new drawings last year because my new ones never sell as well as my old designs. I know this year won't be any different, but I want to make one anyway. Ever since I started making my living from my artwork I've struggled with the whole notion of making things because I love to make things vs. making things because I need to make money. Very often the fact that something doesn't sell will effect what I make in the future, and I kind of hate that. I really want to get back to where I was when I first started out, just making things for the sake of art and not letting sales stats influence me.

I mean, obviously when ALL of your income comes from what you make, your stats do need to influence you at least a little. My puns intended stuff hardly ever sells, so it would be silly for me to start devoting 100% of my efforts to new punny paintings. BUT, it would also be foolish to never make a new puns intended piece ever again simply because they don't sell well. I need to find a good balance.

Anyway, all that being said, I'm making a new calendar whether anyone wants it or not, lol.